Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Maple chocolate chip scones. Yum!

This morning, I was watching an episode of a Bobby Flay show in which he makes pumpkin/cranberry/candied ginger scones with maple butter.  It made me really want to eat a scone!  My son, Anthony, is home for spring break and his favorite scones are maple, so maple it is!

I adapted a biscuit recipe I found on the back of a Crisco can to make a great scone.  I have changed it up so many ways by substituting different extracts, adding fruit, nuts, chocolate chips, etc.  Whatever I add, I usually use about a 1/2 cup.  This recipe makes 8 or 9 scones.  Here it is:

 
Basic Crisco Scone Recipe

 
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
 

2 cups all purpose flour

3 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
 
Combine dry ingredients then cut in with either fingers or pastry cutter until size of small peas:
 
1/2 cup Crisco
 
Add:
 
1/2 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 tsp maple extract  (vanilla extract in original recipe)
 
Finally incorporate 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
 
Mix wet & dry ingredients until just combined.  If you overmix, your scones will be tough.  I don't roll out my dough and cut into shapes.  I use a large ice cream scoop then gently pat down the scone dough to flatten it a little.  Brush tops of scones with milk or cream.  Bake for 12-14 minutes until golden brown and skewer inserted in center comes out clean.
 
For maple icing:  I don't really measure anything for this.  I just put about a cup of powdered sugar in a quart sized freezer bag.  I add 1/2 tsp of maple extract and add milk one tablespoon at a time until it reaches a nice pourable consistency.  After scones have cooled, snip a small corner of the icing bag and drizzle icing over the tops.  Let set a few minutes before eating.

 
 
 

No comments: